Love Your Brother, for Christ's Sake!

If any one says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him, that he who loves God should love his brother also.
1 John 4:20-21 RSV

Shortly after reading this scripture, I came across a blog bashing Beth Moore and her ministry.  I read the entire article, and the primary example of her 'error' was that she 'heard from God' the idea of having Sabbath moments, as well as Sabbath days.  She then tells of a Sabbath moment she had visiting a zoo and having a cup of Starbucks. 

Now, truth be told, I am not a Beth Moore fan and have never participated in one of her Bible studies, so I don't know the full extent of her beliefs.  But I do know that a quick Google search of her, Joel Osteen (don't care for his perpetual 90's look), or Joyce Meyer (of whom I am a very big fan) will deliver a quick list of articles criticizing their ministries.  I also know that the majority of these critical articles are written by Christian folks, often with their own ministries.

I've not once heard Joyce, who I often watch, talk down any one else's ministry, but then I wouldn't expect to.  She believes the Bible is God's inspired word, she studies it, and uses it to teach us to be better Christians, putting our actions where our mouth is.  It is my understanding Ms. Moore's teachings are much the same.

Is visiting a zoo, drinking a cup of Starbucks, and experiencing the presence of God an un-Christian experience?  I have personally experienced the presence of God while drinking a glass of wine! (Gasp!) Does that make me a heretic, a lunatic, or do I simply need re-education on my knowledge of spiritual matters by those who have been educated by man in an 'accredited' institution? I was under the impression that's what brought on the dark ages. 

I understand that our faith is under attack and their are certain tenets we are to stand united on as Christians.  Those we should  fight against would like us to deny the divinity of Christ, they would remove crosses from public places, imprison folks for sharing Christ and torture and kill those who refuse to worship their prophet.

 But the God we serve is not in Baptist box or a divinity school box.  He is beyond all we can fathom.  This fathomless God made everyone of us different  -- not only in appearance but in personality, with different gifts and different abilities.  Differences of opinion are not occasions disobey His command to love our brothers. When we fight against each other, we only add fodder to the fire that rages against Christianity.  Some of the critiques I see smell dangerously of envy and pride, but lack even a trace of Christian love. 

Of the little I've watched Ms. Moore, I've never heard something from her that would lead someone remotely close to the doors of hell.  I wonder, though, with the number of people she's reached, how many she has led to the doors of heaven.  I know for a fact that Joyce Meyer encourages folks to read their Bibles.  Maybe some of the critics of these, and other Christians, should spend more time praying and studying the Word and less time studying other ministries.  

 (Here's the link to the post I reference: http://info.alliancenet.org/mos/1517/a-prophet-for-an-un-discerning-church#.VLaLbyvF_z8, although I don't necessarily recommend reading it in its entirety to avoid unnecessary frustration.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liberals Turning Red as Moore Exposes Hypocrisy of the Greenies

The Stuff of Life

THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM