The Truth Will Make You Free IF...

Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32 RSV

You will know the truth and the truth will set you free! How many times have you heard that verse quoted. How many times have you heard it with the "if you continue in my word" part tacked on?

Truth is a rare commodity in the world these days. And sometimes we humans purposely avoid it, simply because sometimes it really does hurt. I think if we neglect the 'continue in the word' part of this scripture we are avoiding the truth. The truth is God works through processes that take time and our participation. His promises are ours to claim, IF we do our part -- our part usually follows the 'ifs'.

We can quote the last part all day long, but if we do not continue in His word, hearing and memorizing it until it is as familiar to us an Elton John lyric, we will never be free.

When we begin to suck that word down inside, when it reaches our hearts and we begin to hear it during normal operating hours and not just in church on Sunday, we begin the process that leads to freedom. Freedom from the prisons of this world: addictions, personality disorders, anxieties, fears.

As a new Christian I saw some immediate change after receiving Christ that made me aware that I was different. But it was years before I can say I experienced the freedom He speaks of in this scripture. Time spent in His Word, under excellent teachers, doing the 'ifs' got me there - not simply believing.

He says in Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." Seated at His right hand is Christ, who is victorious, and Christ will indeed set us free, but we have a part to play. If we don't do our part, the promise is not ours to claim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liberals Turning Red as Moore Exposes Hypocrisy of the Greenies

The Stuff of Life

THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM